15 Rules for living...50 more to come.
I read on someone's blog just now, even though I should be working...about 35 things to do every day. I'll give some examples.
1. Make your bed first thing.
2. Go out of your way to say good morning to your neighbours.
3. Include a thank you note with your rent cheque.
Stuff like that. Some of the things are a bit too specific however.
18. Don't make any telephone calls after 9pm.
22. Listen to all your answering machine messages as soon as you get home and then erase them.
23. Go to bed early and read for 30 minutes.
25. Always eat your dinner on a plate and have a napkin.
My attitude, at this point begins to change from --OK, to WTF, to Who wrote this shit?-- So rather than be perplexed and annoyed, I thought I would write my own list.
Off the top of my head. No holds barred.
1. Get out of bed as soon as you wake up and don't lie there trying to change the world in your underwear from the safety and comfort of your blankets.
2. Eat something before you leave the house, because it's an important and easy way to love yourself at the start of every day.
3. Think of alternatives to swearing at the asspick who cut you off in traffic on the way to work. Maybe they weren't thinking, maybe their marriage is on the rocks, maybe it's not about you. Let it go.
4. Call your family once a week. It's a good habit to get into, and you'll need that habit when you're in your thirties and upward. Family is defined as people you love.
5. Don't think of yourself as a victim to life, to people, to work, to family. You are a participant in this place.
6. Don't pick your nose and then flick it at random when you're outside, you might just begin to do this inside and your carpet and floor will be littered with old bogies. (this hasn't happened in my house by the way :), it's okay to come over)
7. Let your friends and Cow Orkers know that you are a reliable, trustworthy and friendly lunatic who reads magazines while sitting on the toilet or sings while brushing his teeth, just like everyone else.
8. Not everyone will like you. It sucks, but there are somethings that are out of our control. Besides, there's other stuff to worry about. (see rule 6)
9. You are your own best friend. Stand up for yourself, love yourself, believe in yourself. As much as you can.
10. (This is from my brother)...Whatever opinion you have of yourself will make you who you are.
11. If you are single, have a wank before you fall asleep. It's a great way to expend some time, having fun in a hot and bothered way. It tends to take all the worries out life for a few minutes and clears the way to some serious sleeping.
12. Take pictures, send postcards, record, record, record. In memory, in music, creatively, randomly. Documentation is a fantastic way to live.
13. Listen to your body. It's not separate from yourself.
14. Fear is powerful, but fragile. It only takes a little to shift perspective. If you let it, fear and anger will rule you, and affect everyone you meet and love.
15. The most powerful person on the planet is the one who believes they can make a difference.
Okay, that's fifteen of my rules for healthy living.
Comment at Will. Or as Arthur Wellesley, The Duke of Wellington once said,
"Publish and Be Damned!"